Thursday, April 28, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake goes Hawaiian!

I have been experimenting with left overs. I did a take on something I had at a Pampered Chef party ages ago on Monday...it was the consultants recipe I believe as I can't find it anywhere. I have also decided that my grill pan makes the absolutely best grilled cheese...long time readers will know I love any excuse to use my grill pan. I digress...anyway Monday around lunch time J.J.'s Hawaiian Grilled Cheese was born.




J.J.'s Hawaiian Grilled Cheese

  • Sliced Ham
  • Sliced Swiss – I used Jarlsberg because that stuff rocks!
  • 2 Pineapple rings
  • Dijon or a spicy Mustard of your liking
  • 2 Sliced of your favorite bread
  • Butter

Prepare the bread as if making a grilled cheese...place one slice, butter side down in piping hot skillet, grill pan, or panini press. Layer cheese, pineapple, and ham. Before adding the second slice of bread, add as little or as much mustard as you like to the unbuttered side. Cook until golden and crispy on both sides.

Serves One


I have also been playing around with strawberries. I don't know where my roommate gets them but they are huge suckers. They have good flavor. The thing is...after all these years strawberry shortcake gets boring. I had to make it a bit more exciting. I have been playing with it all spring. I gave it a bit of a kick that I am willing to share with my adoring public! I have added 3 tablespoons of dark, spiced rum to the strawberries and sugar. It gives a delicious underlying taste you just can't quite put your finger on.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment