Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Such A Tool!

No, not me! I am talking kitchen items! I have expensive tastes, but a poor mans budget.  Good kitchen tools don't come cheap.  My favorite knife, a Santoku, by Pampered Chef, was $80 and that was five years ago. I love my santuko.

The Santoku hōchō or Bunka hōchō is a general-purpose kitchen knife originating in Japan. Its blade is typically between 5 and 8 inches long, and has a flat edge and a sheepsfoot blade that curves in an angle approaching 60 degrees at the point. The top of the santoku's handle is in line with the top of the blade. The word santoku loosely translates as 'three virtues' or 'three uses', a reference to the three cutting tasks the knife performs well: slicing; dicing; and mincing. The santoku's blade and handle are designed to work in harmony by matching the blade's width/weight to the weight of blade tang and handle, and the original Japanese santoku is considered a well-balanced knife.

The thing is with knives...you need to use something that has a good feel to it for you.
What knife I like, might not work for you.  I know you have heard this time and time from the various celebrity chefs, but me being me...I have to try it out for myself.  I am not a celebrity, but a real person. lol

I also like the knives Ikea sells.  What I like best is they have a display knife out where you can pick it up and see how it feels in your hand.  And it is Ikea! Everything is dirt cheap!

I get a lot of gadgets at Ikea or they are bought for me.   A good friend of mine introduced Ikea and me and its been a torrid love affair ever since.  $0.59 spatulas? Sweet! That way if I melt and destroy it, I don't feel guilty about it.  $0.99 for a set of three different sizes of scissors? Hell yeah!

Now one of my favorite kitchen tools that is not a knife is something from Pampered Chef that is called the Scoop and Drain or something like that. It is so nice for pasta...especially if you are cooking it for something like pasta salad.  The pest thing about it is I got it at a quarter auction for $0.50! Sweet!

What kind of kitchen gadgets do you lovely readers like?  Send me your emails and bonus points for photos! I will compile all submissions and put it in the blog.

cookingwithjj.baker@gmail.com

Love, peace, and chicken grease!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment