Friday, December 21, 2012

R.I.P. Twinkie the Kid





I am saddened recently by corporate greed.  As many are well aware a childhood staple of kids everywhere is no more.  Hostess is gone.  This also means Wonder bread is gone.  Who didn't love a delicious pb&j or baloney sandwich on Wonder bread as a kid or as where I grew up we also had Butternut bread. (Always a favorite of mine because as a child the Peanuts were spokes persons for it.) This also means no more Drakes cakes...for East Coast people.  I discovered Drakes cakes about 14 years ago while living near Boston.  I am also thinking about Twinkies.  They are supposed to be the food that help us survive an apocalypse.  It is probably a good thing the Mayan's got it wrong today.

When you go to the Hostess website is says this:

Hostess Brands is Closed.
We are sorry to announce that Hostess Brands, Inc. has been forced by a Bakers Union strike to shut down all operations and sell all company assets. For more information, go to hostessbrands.info. Thank you for all of your loyalty and support over the years.

That upsets me.  The bakers had their reasons for being on strike.  Maybe if the greedy leaders of Hostess didn't pay themselves million of dollars of bonuses they wouldn't have had the financial issues that they had. The thing is...no mater who's side you are on the real looser is the consumer.

I think  am more upset that a piece of my childhood is dead  more than the actual products are gone.  If I ever have a child I won't have the joy of making him/her a pb&j/grilled cheese with tomato soup on Wonder Bread or sneaking a Ding Dong in their lunchbox as a surprise treat.  It is odd walking down those isles of the store and Not seeing Ho Ho's, Funny Bones, or Natures Pride bread.

I know something else will come along to replace said products or someone will undoubtedly buy the licensing to start producing them again, but I am a nostalgic creature and it won't be the same.  I know there are worse things going on in the world other than the lost of Twinkies and that it is kind of old news, but I have been meaning to put my two cents in on it and I need to keep my mind other wise occupied.  The horrible happenings last Friday in Connecticut...life needs to return to some normalcy.



Merry Christmas my dear readers; My love to you all.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment