Friday, March 21, 2014

Why is there a chip on your shoulder? Miss your mouth?

Last Friday was National Potato Chip Day! Yum!  In honor of that, today's post is all about...you guessed it! Potato Chips!!!

I grew up in a small town in Southeastern Indiana about thirty minutes from Cincinnati Ohio.  When I was a kid, I had no clue so well loved brands were regional.  I grew up with bands like Mike-Sells,
Grippo's, and Husman's.

My Grandmother was a huge fan of Mike-Sells.   When I was very young, I always remember having that familiar red and silver foil bag in the house.   I am not a huge fan of their plain chips...the rippled or as they call them "groovy"ones are so good for dips.  I have shared many a bag of Mike-Sells groovy chips and some sort of onion dip with my Mom over the years. 


As I got older and developed my own tastes...I fell in love with BBQ chips.  There are so many kinds, but there is still only one today that I crave, beg people to mail me, and will order on-line despite ridiculous shipping charges: Grippo's BBQ.  They are sweet and smokey, yet after you swallow them, it hits you with a bit of heat that I find delightful.  I have requested these chips for birthday presents, holiday's, and just because.  I look forward to having them as a snack almost as I look forward to my visit to Skyline Chili when I go back home to visit. Grippo's also has this flavor that is my second favorite called Sweet Bermuda Onion. 

I personally never cared much for Husman's.   They always seemed to leave a coating in my mouth.  A few years back long before I moved to the East Coast, Husman's had out Montgomery Inn and Cincinnati Chili flavor's that were pretty good. 

I have lived in a couple places on the East Coast the last few years and the brand here seems to be Utz.  There is also Cape Cod up in Massachusetts, but they seem to be getting more and more national.  As for the Utz chips...my favorite is the Carolina BBQ flavor.  The are kinda acidic like a salt and vinegar chip, but have a hint of spice.  That is something very tasty with a sandwich. 

Now that I am done babbling about potato chips...how about a recipe to use some!

J.J.'s Potato Chip Chicken

 

Ingredients

  • 4 cups favorite flavor of potato chips, crushed (1 cup)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of Complete Seasoning or favrite seasonal of your choice
  • 1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)

Directions 

  1. In shallow bowl, mix crushed potato chips and seasonings. 
  2. In another shallow bowl, beat egg and Worcestershire sauce.
  3. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. 
  4. Dip chicken into egg mixture.
  5. Coat with potato chip mixture.
  6. Cook chicken in oil 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, until deep golden brown and juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F).

Yeild: 4 Servings
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment