Monday, June 23, 2014

Hot Fun In The Summertime

"Why is the rum always gone?"
                        - Jack Sparrow

Summertime usually means cold, adult beverages.   I know I have enjoyed quite a few over the years.  Sometimes you just need a change from wine or beer.  Like pirates before me I like rum.  I also have a fondness for tequila.  

Flying my colors! 

I thought I would share some of my favorite cocktails for summer this week.   Some have been around for years.  Others, I have created myself.  If you make any of the recipes, snap a pic and tag me on Twitter or Instagram! I would love to see it!  @jjthecook for both.  Enjoy and happy, responsible drinking!

Measurements are approximate. 





J.J.'s Scurvy Buster
  • 2 oz Rum – I prefer spiced
  • 1 oz lime juice
  • 2 oz pineapple juice
  • 1 oz orange juice
  • 2 oz coconut water
  • 1 oz simple syrup if desired
  1. Shake or stir to mix – serve over ice.
  2. Garnish with cherry and orange slice if desired.
  3. Serves one.
Frozen Rum Runner
  • 3/4 ounce spiced or gold rum
  • 1/4 ounce blackberry liqueur 1/4 ounce creme de banana liqueur
  • 2 ounces orange juice
  • 1/2 ounce grenadine
  • 8 ounces crushed ice
  • 1/4 oz. dark or 151 proof rum
  1. Add spiced or gold rum, blackberry liqueur, creme de banana liqueur, orange juice, grenadine and crushed ice in a blender.
  2. Blend until slushy and pour into glass. 
  3. Float with 1/4 oz. dark or 151 proof rum
  4. Serves one
Dirty Banana
  • 2 oz. Tia Maria or Kahlua
  • 2 oz. dark rum
  • 2 oz. rum cream liqueur
  • 4 oz. milk
  • 1 oz. simple syrup
  • 3/4 banana
  • chocolate syrup
  • Ice
  1. Fill blender 3/4 way with ice and all ingredients.
  2. Blend until thick and smooth.
  3. Pour into glasses
  4. Drizzle chocolate syrup on top for garnish
  5. Serves two
 Paloma Ala J.J.
  • 2 oz tequila blanco (silver)
  • Juice of half a lime
  • 3 oz pink grapefruit juice
  • 3 oz soda
  • pinch salt
  • Lime wedge, for garnish
  1. Combine tequila, lime juice and a pinch of salt in a highball or Collins glass.
  2. Add ice
  3. Top with grapefruit and soda.
  4. Stir gently
  5. Serve with a lime wedge garnish
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment