Happy Pi Day! My favorite is to celebrate with an actual Pie! Here is a best of J.J.'s pie recipes. Enjoy!
Pi Day is an annual celebration commemorating the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is observed on March 14 (or 3/14 in month/day date format), since 3, 1 and 4 are the three most significant digits of π in the decimal form. In 2009, the United States House of Representatives supported the designation of Pi Day.Frozen Lemonade Pie
For the Crust
•2 cups graham cracker crumbs
•1/4 cup sugar
•7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling
•2 cups heavy cream
•1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk, chilled
•1 6-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate (do not thaw) [I used 12ounces]
For the Topping
•1 cup blueberries
•1 cup raspberries
•2 tablespoons sugar
•1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Make the filling: In a cold medium bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, stir together the condensed milk and frozen lemonade. Gently fold the lemonade mixture into the whipped cream. Pour the filling into the crust; freeze overnight.
About an hour before you serve the pie, make the topping: Toss the berries in a medium bowl with the sugar and lemon juice. Set aside until ready to serve.
Let the pie come to room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting. Top each slice with berries.
Sue's Peanut Butter Pie
- 1 - 8oz brick of cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powder sugar
- Peanut Butter to taste...I used a whole 15oz jar of Skippy
- 1 - 8oz tub Cool Whip
- 1 Gram Cracker Pie Shell or Chocolate Cookie Shell
Whip cream cheese, powder sugar, and peanut butter together until fluffy. Fold in Cool Whip. Poor into crust. Chill for at least an hour.
J.J.'s Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 - 4 oz package chocolate Jell-O instant pudding
- 1 c. heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 c. Cool Whip
- 1 baked 8 inch pie shell or Gram Cracker
Mix pudding using 1 cup whipping cream, blend in Cool Whip. Spoon into a 8 inch pie shell. Garnish with chocolate curls and Cool Whip if desired. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Flaky Pecan Pastry
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk, divided
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Meringue for Pie
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare Flaky Pecan Pastry. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with edge of plate. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until pastry is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
2. For filling, in a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in about 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk. Whisk in egg yolks until combined. Whisk in the remaining evaporated milk and the milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover and keep warm. Prepare Meringue for Pie.
3. Pour warm filling into pastry shell. Gently spread meringue over warm filling, sealing to edge of pie. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving; cover for longer storage. Makes 8 servings.
Flaky Pecan Pastry: In a medium bowl, stir together 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/4 cup shortening and 1/4 cup butter, cut up, or shortening until pieces are pea size. Stir in 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons ice water and 2 teaspoons vinegar. Sprinkle mixture over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with 2 tablespoons additional ice water until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. If necessary, cover and chill about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
Meringue for Pie: In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar; set aside. In a large bowl, combine 3 egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). -----I personally don't like meringue...I use whipped cream.
WHOOPEE PIE RECIPE
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder (normal coco powder doesn't change it any)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 t vanilla
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt (t=teaspoon)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar sifted,
- 1 cup salted butter softened (not melted),
- 2 ...t vanilla,
- 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff,
- pinch of salt (optional)
WHOOPEE PIE DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Drop the batter by small spoonfuls on...to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for approx. 8 minutes
Remove to a rack to cool.
Prepare filling by stirring the softened butter into the confectioners' sugar. Stir in the vanilla, marshmallow fluff, and optional salt.
To assemble, spread a generous amount of filling on the flat side of one cake and top with a second cake.