Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Ides of March could be tasty!


I have said this before but I need to write more often.  How often is the key...lately I have been uninspired and lacking new recipes to try.  Yes, I could get my own recipes of various websites, but I really love it when my readers give me their recipes.  I like trying your recipes! I've gotten some crazy ones that have been awesome: like Sue's Crazy Cake.  So unconventional but yet so delicious.

I am also going to start going on more food/drink adventures here in North Carolina.  I have a wine trail day planned for the weekend of March 16th and I am looking forward to taking to that armed with a camera and ready to take notes on the different places I am going to visit.  I've also have made a list of restaurants and farmer type markets I want to visit. There is the creamery as well!

Since I have been living here in North Carolina, I have been purchasing my milk in glass bottles.  This is the best milk I have ever consumed in my life and have discovered the company, Maple View Farms, has an ice cream joint.   I look forward to this trip.

I will leave you awesome readers with a recipe I came up with out of boredom.  I know Sue has been looking forward to me posting it and I have been putting it off.   Just for the record I found it works with thick cut, homemade bread.  And the sauce! I make it in the microwave!

J.J.'s Salted Caramel French Toast

French Toast

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch salt
  • ¼ teaspoon allspice
  • 6 slices day-old bread
  • Powder sugar for dusting

Directions
In a shallow bowl, (I like to use a pie plate!) beat eggs; add half & half, honey, vanilla, allspice, and salt. Soak bread for 30 seconds on each side. Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Dust with powder sugar.

Salted Caramel Sauce

Ingredients

  • ½ stick of butter (NOT margarine)
  • ½ cup of brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon of vanilla
  • heavy cream, milk, half & half, or homemade coffee creamer
  • Chopped Pecans for garnishing
  • Sea Salt for garnishing

Directions
Place butter, vanilla, and sugar in a TALL microwave safe bowl.  Microwave in one minute intervals till butter is melted and everything is bubbly.  Stir well.  Drizzle in dairy product ( I found the coffee creamer works the best.) while stirring till you have a smooth sauce and have thick or thin you would like it.  Microwave another 30 seconds to a minute.  Drizzle on french toast, sprinkle with small amount of sea salt if desired.  Top with pecans if desired.  This also goes great in coffee, on ice cream, and to dip apple slices in.



Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment