Monday, July 28, 2014

New Twist On a Classic Favorite

 The significant other and I had BLTs a few nights back. Nothing special you may say, but they were not your run of the mill BLTs.  Fried Green Tomato BLT.  I had never had one before.  It was divine.  Not something you should have all the time, but a wonderful treat.


Fried Green Tomato BLT and fresh corn off the cob.

The Bacon

Bake it on a tray lined with parchment paper at 350. Now don’t ask me for how long…this depends on you. Do you like your bacon limp? Crisp? That is up to you! It really is perfect bacon every time. Also, a plus side, is not getting popped by angry bacon grease!



J.J./Grandma’s Fried Green Tomatoes

• Green tomatoes – these are sometimes hard to acquire unless you have your own garden or a friend with a garden. I know a few times I have asked at the grocery store if they have green tomatoes and have been looked at like I am crazy.
• Buttermilk – I like to soak the tomatoes in buttermilk like my Grandma did so the coating will stick
• Flour – About 1 to 1 1/2 cups. I season that with more pepper and season salt. I use LAWRY'S® Seasoned Salt with 25% less sodium or the Complete Seasoning.
• Oil – I use olive, canola, or a blend of the two. Grandma used Crisco…That had to go out the window with the full sodium season salt.

Get your oil in the pan getting hot as you prep your ingredients…I heat it on medium as I get everything together. If I know for sure I am making them I slice the green tomatoes and start soaking them earlier in the day. I season my flour and start coating. Make sure you shake the extra flour from the tomatoes and place them in the skillet. I would say it is about a minute to a minute and a half per side…till they are brown, crispy, and the tomatoes are just tender. I always taste the first one for salt level and salt them to taste while they are still warm and draining on paper towels.
to them. If you don’t have buttermilk readily available use an egg and about a cup of milk whisked together. Also season the milk with some pepper and salt. I don’t measure things very well when I cook so my guess would be about a ¼ teaspoon of each.

The Sandwich

 

Toast your choice of bread to your liking.  (We used oat bread)
Assemble tomatoes, bacon, lettuce, and mayo on your toast.
Enjoy! 


Chipotle Chicken Panini


Ingredients

Sauce:

  • 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce (like the kind by Tabasco) or more to suit your taste
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Sandwich:

  • 4 slices of a good bread
  • 4 oz. cooked skinless lean chicken breast, shredded or pulled into pieces
  • 4 slices tomato
  • 2 slices provolone cheese

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, combine ingredients for the sauce and mix well. Set aside.
  2. Lay the slices of bread together. Evenly spread half of the sauce onto two of the bread slices, leaving half of the sauce in the bowl. Set aside.
  3. To the bowl with the remaining sauce, add chicken and toss to coat. Set aside.
  4. Evenly top other bread slices with tomato, saucy chicken, and cheese. Place the other half on top, sauce side down.
  5. Bring a grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Place sandwich in the pan. Using a spatula or grill press, press down gently but firmly to seal the sandwich. Grill until hot and lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side, flipping carefully and pressing down to seal.
  6. Cut in half (or not) and enjoy! Serves 2
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment