Monday, July 14, 2014

Ode To Frozen Treats

I just turned 37 this past Wednesday.  For the first 25 or so years of my life I didn't care much for ice cream...I know, I know.  I was some kind of mutant creature of a child.  It's not to say I didn't like any ice cream...I was just very picky and weird about it.  In school (and now that I am an adult and can buy a whole delicious box of them) I loved the Good Humor, Blue Bunny, or what ever brand you have near you, Chocolate Eclair or Strawberry Shortcake Bars.  In school we called them crunch bars...Such a delicious after lunch treat for a mere quarter.  Yes a quarter! It was the 80's after all!

On special occasions when we went to Dairy Queen or it's local counter part, I always got a Mr Misty or slush. I don't even think DQ has Mr Misty's anymore they are called an Arctic Blast or some such thing. 

I've always been a Popsicle person.  I did enjoy those orange push pop or pudding pops as well.   When I was a kid I think the Flintstones advertised for them and that was a lot of my interest in them. Of course I never knew the ones I got weren't the Flintstones ones till I was much older but hey what you going to do about it now?

As I said I didn't really care for ice cream till my 20s. I usually ate sherbert or popsicles.   Milkshakes were my gateway.  I love a good chocolate peanut butter shake or chocolate peanut butter ice cream.  

Fresh Pineapple Sherbet

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 pineapple, cored, trimmed, reserving 6 large wedges for garnish, puréed in a blender, and forced through a fine sieve (3 cups strained purée)
  • 1 1/2 cups well-chilled milk
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
  1. In a bowl whisk together the pineapple purée, sugar, milk, lime juice, and pinch of salt. 
  2. Chill the mixture until it is cold
  3. Freeze it in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  4. Serve the sherbet garnished with the reserved pineapple wedges if desired. 

Chocolate Fudge Swirl Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Prep Time: 30 minutes (active), 8 hours (inactive)
Cook Time: 20 minutes (churn time)
Total Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients

For the Ice Cream
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • ¼ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • ½ cup smooth peanut butter
For the Fudge Ripple
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup
  • ½ cup water
  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Peanut Butter Patties
  • 6 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
  • 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Ice Cream maker I use
Directions

1. To make the Fudge Ripple: Whisk together the sugar, corn syrup, water, and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble at the edges. Continue to whisk until it just comes to a low boil. Cook for 1 minute, whisking frequently. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla, and let cool. Chill in the refrigerator before using. (Fudge Ripple can be stored for up to 2 weeks, covered, in the refrigerator.)

2. To make the Peanut Butter Patties: Mix together the peanut butter and confectioners' sugar in a small bowl. Line a dinner plate with plastic wrap. Pinch off small pieces of the peanut butter mixture, about ½ teaspoon each, and drop them onto the dinner plate. Once you've used all of the mixture, freeze the patties. (The patties can be stored in the freezer, well wrapped, for up to 1 month.)

3. To make the Ice Cream: Whisk together the half-and-half, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up). Remove from the heat and whisk in the peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly blended.

4. Chill mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Fold in the Peanut Butter Patties when it has finished churning. Just before you remove the ice cream from the machine, spoon some of the Fudge Ripple onto the bottom of the storage container. As you remove the ice cream from the machine, layer generous spoonfuls of the sauce between layers of ice cream. Avoid stirring the Fudge Ripple, as it will make the ice cream muddy.

Yield: 1 quart 

J.J.'s Puddin' Pops

Who remembers this?
  • 1 large box chocolate pudding or any flavor you want - banana is very yummy.
  • 3 cups cold milk
  • 2 cups frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip)
  1. BEAT first 2 ingredients with whisk 2 min.
  2. STIR in whipped topping
  3. POUR into 6 paper or plastic cups. Insert wooden pop stick or plastic spoon in center of each cup after about 30 to 60 minutes in the freezer.
  4. FREEZE 5 hours or until firm. Peel off paper cups before serving.
You can easily make the pudding pops waist line friendly and use sugar free pudding, light whipped topping, and low far or skim milk.  
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment