Friday, February 11, 2011

Amish Paradise

Yesterday I was out and about with the Fabulous Melissa and we stopped by the Dutch Country Farmers Market. We ended up having an awesome lunch while we was there.

The little restaurant section was called Lantz Restaurant. The food was very tastey and very cheap. That is a HUGE win in my book. We both got food and a drink and our bill with tip was like $15. I ordered a mushroom and swiss burger that was to die for. My only complaint with it was they used canned mushrooms instead of fresh. It was well seasoned and cooked perfectly. It came with a pickle and chips with choice of extra toppings. I chose plain myself. Melissa had a cheese steak. She seemed to enjoy it. It came topped with their version of BBQ sauce and the little taste I had of the sauce it was good. Melissa said the sauce reminded her of a meatloaf topping. Her plate also came with chips and a pickle. Good food and a very good value.

Sourcream Doughnut
As we wondered the market...Chocolate covered bacon was purchased for me to try...yeah, I made that face too. Melissa seems to like it...I was not impressed. This place did have one of my absolute favorite doughnuts. I love sour cream doughnuts. This one was awesome. I enjoyed every bite of it. We also got this black raspberry square thing that I tried today. It was kind of like a crumb cake. It wasn't too sweet and had lots of the raspberry goo. I will definitely be getting one again. The soft pretzels were very good quality. I just wanted a plain one yesterday but next time I think I will try the Philly steak one.

If you are ever in the Laurel MD area I strongly suguest chekcing out the Dutch Country Farmers Market. They are open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There are all kinds of cool food stuffs to look at and purchase. It is seriously crazy.

And before I go...One recipe for your cooking pleasure. I love this stuff!!!

Amish Amish Macaroni Salad

  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
  • 2 cups creamy salad dressing (e.g. Miracle Whip)
  • 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon celery seed

 
Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Drain, and set aside to cool.

 
In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, onion, celery, red pepper, and relish. In a small bowl, stir together the salad dressing, mustard, white sugar, vinegar, salt and celery seed. Pour over the vegetables, and stir in macaroni until well blended. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment