Wednesday, August 4, 2010

BACON!

What kind of crazy fool doesn’t love bacon? Maybe some vegans and such, but I have known the smell of cooking bacon to make the strictest of vegans drool. Now for years I denied myself this pleasure, saying I didn’t care that much for bacon…it wasn’t that I didn’t like bacon, I had just never had it fixed the right way.

What is the right way, you may ask? Read my words dear readers…in the oven! Bake it on a tray lined with parchment paper at 350. Now don’t ask me for how long…this depends on you. Do you like your bacon limp? Crisp? That is up to you! It really is perfect bacon every time. Also, a plus side, is not getting popped by angry bacon grease!






Now as to the reason I was baking bacon yesterday…my roommate returned home at the odd hours as she always does and was starving. With our surplus of tomatoes from our small garden…BLT’s FTW!

Here is a recent discovery with the classic BLT…I use a semi secret green that isn’t lettuce or really a secret. Spinach leafs! Seriously! So much better than lettuce…I’m usually one to not get the lettuce at all on my BLT. Now, using the spinach I eat the green on it every time.

Now, the roommate and I argue about what goes on a BLT, but we do agree upon the spinach and tomato…Roommate thinks you need to butter the toast for a BLT…that makes even this fat kid’s chest scream for mercy. She also uses Miracle Whip and not mayo. I like a thin layer of mayo…and it has to be Hellman’s. I also like cheese on mine. I personally prefer Swiss but will use almost any kind. Pepper Jack is a good choice as well. White bread is also a key ingredient for this sandwich but a good wheat bread also suffices. If you really want to go for the win… Asiago Cheese bread from
Panera is the way to go.



The Roommate's BLT's.




My BLT

As for all that baked bacon...you can store it wrapped in paper towels, in a zipper bag, in the refrigerator. Heat as needed for use. I usually heat mine in the microwave for about 30 seconds for three to four slices.

Other used for my bacon…this morning I made eggs and country potatoes to go with my bacon. Yes, that is fresh homemade salsa or pico de gallo on my eggs. Very tasty!

I also make this chicken stuffed with spinach, Swiss, Onion, mushroom, and bacon that is to die for…although lately I have lightened it up a bit and make it without the bacon. There is the classic bacon cheese burger. Nom nom nom! Now there is this chocolate dipped bacon I keep hearing about but I don’t know about all that…I like my sweet and salty together just like the next person, but chocolate and bacon? I don’t know. That might be a little too weird, even for me.

I had a friend tell me last night about these green beans wrapped in bacon...I have never had them like that. Now, I have had asparagus wrapped in bacon and grilled…that is pretty good. Wrap that filet mignon in bacon before you grill them and look out! Garlic mashed potatoes with crumbled bacon and some sharp cheddar cheese? Hell yeah! It goes well with that filet mignon.

Tell me something bacon doesn’t make better, besides maybe chocolate?

Oh and incase there is anyone out there “listening” besides my friends I have forced this link upon…if you have a recipe you want me to try…email it to me!

cookingwithjj.baker@gmail.com

Oh and lastly...save that bacon grease! It comes in handy...mine is stored in a mason jar in the ice box!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment