Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Restaurant Whore

Like every other “normal” American out there, I love to eat out. Not having to clean up the kitchen after a meal and have someone wait on me? That is an everyday cook’s wet dream. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love to cook. Most things I cook are better than what you can get in any restaurant. There is just some things I haven’t mastered as of yet.

Mexican

I love Mexican/ Tex-Mex food. I love it so much I have spent my last three birthdays at Don Pablo’s. Don Pablo’s is very excellent for a chain restaurant. I know a much better localized Mexican place, but the chain place seemed more convenient for gathering a large quantity of friends in one place for a meal.


I can cook some Mexican like dishes, but they are more of a fake out than authentic. They are definitely more Mexican than Taco Bell. Funny side note: I have a friend that thinks Taco Bell constitutes real, authentic Mexican Cuisine. Sorry my friend…it does not. FAST FOOD. As for myself…if I want a fast food taco, Chipotle for the win! Crunchy tacos, with the pork, fresh tomato salsa, sour cream, and cheese.

Now if you want good Mexican food and you are in the Annapolis/Baltimore/DC area, I have one word for you: Los Portales. It is located in a strip mall, of all places, near BWI airport. It is very reasonable and most delicious. I need to take Melissa here.
I discovered this gem from an ex of mine. We ate there quite a bit in our six month relationship and once together as friends after splitting Anyway…I usually order the combination #8: one enchilada and one tamale. It comes with rice and beans for $7.75. I’m not a big one on rice at these places but I will eat theirs. I love their tamales and wish they had a tamale platter.



Chinese

My Mother worked in a fancy Chinese restaurant when I was a small child. It no longer exists, but it was in Florence, Kentucky and was called the Dragon Inn. While working there she learned to make tons of delicious Chinese dishes. My favorite today is beef and peapods. She has showed me a few times how to make this and I just can’t make is as good as hers. Maybe it is the whole deal that no ones cooking can hold a candle to Mom/Grandma’s…I don’t know.


As for Chinese restaurants…the best I have ever eaten at is a place called Ping’s in Worchester, Massachusetts. It was across the street from the Greyhound station and was so very good. That ex and I ate there once a week. It was there I discovered cashew chicken, Peking ravioli aka dumplings (steamed, not fried please), combo fried rice/lo mien, the pu pu platter and so many other delicious Chinese dishes I love.


Now…in the area I live in now. Grace’s Fortune is the place to eat hands down. It can be prices so it isn’t for everyday, but the place is so good. I never liked crab Rangoon till I had it at this place. I also like the way they serve stuff...like the pineapple chicken is served in a carved out pineapple. How cool is that? I also like the crispy beef. I also had Moo Shu pork here for the first time and fell in love with it. I’ve only ate there a couple times twice for my birthday and once for my another ex’s Grandmother’s birthday. I want to go back again. Another adventure for Melissa and I, I suspect.

Now as for everyday Chinese take out…I love Generals chicken or egg foo yung. Egg foo yung was the first Chinese food I ever remember eating. How can a country boy not love this? Scrambled eggs with brown gravy? FTW! I love won ton soup and of course dumplings. Occasionally I like sweet and sour pork. There was this take out place near the place I lived in River Dale, Maryland a couple years ago that had crab fried rice. OMG! I can’t find another place that has it. I guess I need to learn to make it myself.

Fastfood

• Subway - The seafood and crab, on honey oat with tomato, pickle, onion, banana peppers, cheese, and a tiny line of spicy mustard. If I’m not in the mood for that…the club with all those same fixings plus mayo.
• Burger King – Whopper with cheese no lettuce.
• Mc Nasties aka Mc Donald’s – I don’t eat here unless I am constipated.
• Wendy’s – I don’t get here very much, but I love their chicken cordon blu when they have it.
Skyline – This is a wonderful chili place back home…Cincinnati Chili. I could eat there everyday. My order? A four way with onions, two cheese coneys with, and a large Pepsi or Mt Dew.

Big Boy – Another back home favorite. Cherry Coke is a must here. I also like the classic Big Boy sandwich with extra sauce, onion rings, and hot fudge cake.

Anyone hungry yet? I am.

Now my whole world isn’t consumed by thoughts of food, but it really it is a simple/social pleasure in life. How many first dates have we all had where we went out for a meal? Birthdays/Holidays celebrated with food? Food for thought…no pun intended.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment