Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday Ramblings

My inspiration to write today is not really here…I may be all over the place, but that is OK. It’s my blog and I can be random if I want to!

 
My neighbor and I are supposed to be having a cookout tomorrow. I say supposed to because the weather has sucked as of lately and neither one of us want to deal with the heat.

 
Side Note: Do not refer to a cookout as a BBQ to me. I will freak and get ugly. BBQ is pulled meat IE chicken, pork, or beef cooked low and slow until it is tender and smothered in BBQ sauce, served with coleslaw and other delicious side dishes. Cookout is what you do when you grill meat on your grill…HUGE difference.

 
I want to make this frozen lemonade pie and this buffalo chicken dip for the mentioned cookout tomorrow. This buffalo chicken dip recipe is killer and I totally swiped it from Melissa. I have somewhat mastered it, but it still isn’t as good as when she makes it. I will sit and eat a pan of this stuff as meals over two or three days. Also, as Emeril says: “Spread it on a car bumper and eat it!” I really could. I will share this recipe after the weekend.

 
I need to call my neighbor and see if we are doing this cookout. I am doing the dreaded grocery shopping tonight. What away to spend a Friday night, right? It needs to be done and I have been putting it off all week.

 
Any requests for food you would like to see covered? Recipes? cookingwithjj.baker@gmail.com.

 
J.J.'s Perfect Grilled Cheese
I made grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch today. This is another combination I have loved since childhood. I must say I have mastered the grilled cheese. Mine are beautiful every time. This is also another sandwich that calls for the dreaded white bread.

 
Grilled cheeses are so versatile. You don’t have to have them just with tomato soup. We had them with chili when I was a kid. Sometimes I make them and put a little BBQ /steak/taco sauce in the cheese and let it melt together…so tasty. You can add some ham then, the grilled cheese becomes hot ham and cheese. This is also good, especially with a good dill pickle.

 
I will leave you good readers with a J.J. approved recipe.

 
WHOOPEE PIE RECIPE

 
CAKE INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder (normal coco powder doesn't change it any)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1.5 cups flour
  • 1.5 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt (t=teaspoon)
FILLING INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar sifted,
  • 1 cup salted butter softened (not melted),
  • 2 ...t vanilla,
  • 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff,
  • pinch of salt (optional)
WHOOPEE PIE DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 F.

In a large bowl mix together the cocoa powder, and sugar. Stir in the oil, egg, milk, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the cocoa mixture.
 
Drop the batter by small spoonfuls on...to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for approx. 8 minutes
 
Remove to a rack to cool.
FILLING DIRECTIONS
Prepare filling by stirring the softened butter into the confectioners' sugar. Stir in the vanilla, marshmallow fluff, and optional salt.
ASSEMBLY
To assemble, spread a generous amount of filling on the flat side of one cake and top with a second cake.

 

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment